I have been in China one month now. Actually I "was" in China a month, but today I ventured out of the mainland and into Hong Kong. Right from the start when I walked up to the guy at the customs counter and he spoke he spoke perfect English to me, I knew I was in for a treat. I will tell all later, but I wanted to give a top ten of the things I loved about today. So, here I go...
Top ten things that made Hong Kong awesome:
1. Every Asian person I spoke to spoke English.
2. I ate cheese.
3. I sat down at a table with a fork and knife already on the table.
4. I found shoes that fit me (it seems that China carries nothing above a 44).
5. The lights on the buildings were in sync with the music during the nightly "Symphony of Lights."
6. I had a Brooklyn Brewery beer.
7. I drank the beer right from the bottle.
8. I returned to China with only HK$1.40 (I love exchanging the right amount of money).
9. I got served ice in my water.
10. Everyone understood what I was saying...the first time!
It was a nice break from the past month of struggling with the language and differences in culture. Now I am feeling refreshed and ready for the next few months. Thank you Hong Kong!